12 oktober 2007

EDUCATING MICHAEL

Educating Rita.
What is more important: Education or Education?

That is the topic for my first literary essay. I don't have that much to write about, but I do hope it will be enough. About 500 words - not too much actually and I do believe that I have written a pretty decent introduction although I have to work on it some more.

Rita - a hard working working class woman with no "proper" education. She works as a hairdresser and quite often thinks that life sucks; much due to her boyfriend who is a traditional Brit and wants to have a baby as soon as possible. Something Rita doesn't approve.

Frank - tutor in literature at the university and belongs to the upper middle class. An alcoholic, former not too well (not at all) known poet, who is kind of sick of life. And as I told you before he is kind of isolated and the office is his home.

Their roads cross when Rita wants to be educated, to get somewhere in life - there must be more than just doing perm after perm on old ladies. Frank becomes her tutor in literature and despite their differences they connect and their relationship is growing as the play goes on.

My question is: can you tell, from the play, which education really is the most important one. The one you learn on the street from others or by yourself, or the one you learn by sitting at home, doing lots and lots of reading?

Inga kommentarer: